Saturday 2 May 2015

A new leaf is turned

I was feeling really sick yesterday - I went out for dinner on Thursday night and ate rich food that I'm not used to, and I think that is why. I only ate an apple, a muffin and a bowl of cereal all day, yet I was absolutely buzzing all day, all the while full of flu and gross congestion.

At 9 pm I had had enough of feeling sick and silly, and I decided to go for a run. The last time I tried to run in this state, I had to stop and spend 20 minutes throwing up in a park. Nice, huh? After that incident, I bought an electrolyte solution to add to my water, to try prevent that sort of thing happening again.

The electrolyte I bought is SIS Science in Sport "GO Electrolyte" powder in blackcurrant flavour. I bought it in my local running shop - it was £10.20 for 500 grams, which makes up to 12.5 servings, as you mix 40g with 500 ml water. I wanted a smaller size as I wasn't sure I would like the flavour, but next time I shall buy the next size up, as I find the blackcurrant is OK. There are a number of other flavours available, but for some reason I really had my mind set on some sort of berry solution!

 

The instructions on the bottle say that you are supposed to drink 500 ml of the stuff for every 45-60 minutes of exercise. Well, I haven't yet got beyond 60 minutes, so I've not yet reached the problem of carrying litres of water around with me...the solution itself is quite sweet, and my water bottle leaks so I get sticky residue on my hands while I'm running!

That said, it has sorted me right out. I used to get really awful uterine cramps while running, then there was the aforementioned incident where I ended up laid up in a park for twenty minutes. I was highly sceptical, but I have to say that I'll get used to the sweet water while drinking, and I'll sort my water bottle out too!

Anyway, with all that back-story out of the way - I went for my run yesterday and I was absolutely fine. I did do rather a lot of coughing and sniffing on my way round (which probably amused the people who were drunk and out on the streets of London...I'm sure I sounded like I had the plague). The run itself went fine, I got a stitch after 3 km, but it went away after a few minutes and I managed to get going steadily after that.



The route you see on that map is the one that I do most regularly when I need to do 5 km, as I know the exact distance. I have been finding it hard to find a route that I really love, although it's starting to matter less as I get to know the roads around my flat better.

I find that 5 km is a really difficult distance for me - I feel like I've only just warmed up and then it's time to stop running. Longer distances have been working better, but I've gone back to the beginning of the training programme as I had been so sporadic in my running, and I really don't want to get myself injured.



Anyway, it's off to a good start and I'm hoping that the motivation that came with a huge donation from a friend will keep me going until it's no longer hard to persuade myself to go outside.

Much love,

Corrie xx

Note: the link to the SIS sports drink is an Amazon affiliates link; it will not cost you any extra if you click on it, but will give me a kick-back to help support my consulting lifestyle. I wasn't asked for these opinions or anything - I bought the powder in a running shop and it just happened to be listed on Amazon. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment